8 Week Intro Courses
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wine
- grow your confidence for choosing wine
- explore and discover new favourites
- save money by learning to choose wines you are more likely to enjoy
- meet new people sharing your interest
Our 8 week World of Wine Tour runs one evening per week for 8 weeks and is designed as a practical introduction to the world of wine. It's flexible - you can even join mid-way and pick up any missed sessions later in the year! It is a perfect present for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more about it in a fun and relaxed environment. No previous experience is required – the emphasis is on learning by tasting different varieties of wine and it's a great way to meet new friends.
Course Fee structure: The course fee is £205. As a way of spreading out the cost, we ask for £125 payment on booking and then £10 in cash each evening. A great value and a saving on booking each night separately (this works out to approximately £25 per evening - usual cost if you booked on a single evening is £27.50 to £35 per evening).
"My fiance and I attended an 8 week World of Wine Tour. The course was fun, interesting, informative and you tasted great wine and food each week. Jonny, the course tutor, is extremely knowledgeable, enthusiastic and a great teacher. This course is suitable for novices or more experienced wine drinkers and allows you to try a wide array of wines from all over the world in just 8 lessons. Brilliant and enjoyable and experience and would definitely recommend it." Denise
"Really enjoyed the 8 week course recently, learnt so much, made new friends and came away with a whole new knowledge of wine! So thanks very much." Dan, Nov 2018
This 8 week World of Wine Tour can also be purchased as a gift - great for birthdays, anniversaries, father's day or mother's day! To buy the whole course as a gift (with nothing further to pay) click here.
WHAT IF I HAVE TO MISS ANY EVENINGS? No problem - Pick up the missed session on the next 8 week World of Wine Tour, or get a credit you can use for any of our wine courses or wine tastings. Courses run throughout the year.
WHAT WILL I GET FROM THIS COURSE? By the end of the 8 evenings:
- You will have gained a good understanding of the world's major grape varieties and the wine styles they produce
- You will have been taught to assess and taste wine like a true professional, and be able to identify any faults found in wine (e.g. a corked wine)
- During the 8 evenings we will have tasted wines from most of the worlds major wine regions (tasting approx 50 wines)
- Food & wine matching will also have given you a lot of confidence to try new wine pairings with your favourite foods
- You will also have developed your sense of smell and wine vocabulary
- Professional ISO tasting glasses, comprehensive tasting notes and some nibbles to help compare food groups with wine are provided
- Retail prices of wines tasted will generally be between £7 and £15
- Discover where to obtain today's best value for money wines.
- Wine and food matching advice
- Common wine faults - how to spot them
- Storing and serving wine advice
- Taste the world’s major red grape varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Grenache and others
- Taste the world’s major white grape varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, Albarino, Torrontes and others
- Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting notes and course notes are all provided
WHO IS THIS COURSE DESIGNED FOR? The introductory 8 week World of Wine Tour is structured as a practical introduction to the world of wine. It is designed specifically for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more about it. You do not need any previous experience, the emphasis is on learning by tasting different varieties of wine with friendly people. It is also a great way to meet new friends who share your love of wine.
COURSE OUTLINE: WEEK BY WEEK
- Week 1 - France: the major regions + grape growing and the importance of climate and weather
- Week 2 - Italy: the major wine styles + how wine is made
- Week 3 - Spain & Portugal + maturing wine and the use of oak
- Week 4 - Germany, Austria & UK + storing and serving wine
- Week 5 - Australia & New Zealand + principles of food and wine pairing
- Week 6 - Chile & Argentina + common wine faults
- Week 7 - USA & South Africa + understanding wine labels
- Week 8 - Sparkling wines & Sweet wines
Tastings start at 7pm and run for approx 2 hours, finishing by 9pm. Each week we will examine how different grape varieties, different climates and local wine-making techniques impact on the aromas and flavours of the wine. Through practice and our guidance you will learn how to identify the wine's characteristics - we show you how to taste and appraise wine like a professional. We believe that the best aide to learning about wine is the process of tasting and comparing for yourself and that is exactly what you will have the chance to do in our relaxed and informal setting.
Join us on a jaunt around the globe on Thursday evenings starting 9th Jan 2020 as we visit a variety of wine-making countries, tasting everything from Chianti Classico to Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. If
Places remaining: 15
Date/Time: 9th Jan 2020 at 7pm - 9pm
Venue: Hotel du Vin, 2 Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AD