WSET Course Level 1 £165
Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications which are suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts.
As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) Sussex Wine School has been certified to offer this qualification.
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1?
- The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is intended to establish the basic skills and product knowledge required in the service and retail of wine; it is ideal for preparing a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
- This course is also a good introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to study in a structured way: the qualification will cover skills such as identifying wine styles, practice of storing and serving wine, and food and wine matching.
No previous experience of Wine Tasting is necessary to register on this course.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click on the book to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
- Wine Tasting : Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- What is wine? : grape growing and fermentation
ypes of Wine : Light wines, sparkling wines, fortified wines, dry wines and sweet wines
- Styles of Wine : Light bodied wines, medium bodied wines, full bodied wines
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties : Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties : Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines : White: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes, Soave
- Named Wines : Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted : 6 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive the Foundation Certificate Study Guide
- Course Specification: Those who wish to review the course specification in preparation for the course can view it by clicking on the book above
- Duration of course : 1 day inclusive of examination
- Examination : 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Local Wine School (of which Sussex Wine School is a part) is the UK's largest network of WSET certified educators. Over 1,400 successful WSET candidates in 2015. Chris Powell, the founder of our network, Local Wine School, won the coveted Riedel WSET Educator of the Year 2015 award.
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is the ideal starting point for anyone who is considering embarking on
Places remaining: 11
Date/Time: 24th Nov 2018 at 9.30am - 4.30pm
Venue: Hotel du Vin, 2 Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AD
This WSET Level 1 in Wines course runs on Sat 26th Jan 2019 in Guildford. The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate)
Places remaining: 12
Date/Time: 26th Jan 2019 at 9.30am - 4.30pm
Venue: Guildford Institute, Ward St, Guildford GU1 4LH