WSET Course Level 3 £725
Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications suitable for wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts.
As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) Sussex Wine School has been certified to offer the WSET Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications.
WSET Level 3 in Wines Award is an advanced level qualification for professionals working in the wine industry and for wine enthusiasts.
Note: We are now running a Level 3 in Wines Online course starting on 4th June 2020. See below for more details
For individuals seeking to delve deeper into the world of wines, this qualification provides a detailed understanding of grape growing and wine making. Upon completion you will be able to assess wines accurately, and use your understanding to confidently explain wine style and quality.
Upon successful completion you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
What you'll learn
The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
How these key factors influence the key characteristics of the principal still wines of the world, sparkling wines of the world and fortified wines of the world
How to apply your understanding to explain wine style and quality
How to taste wines, describe their characteristics and evaluate their quality, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products.
Unit 1 is assessed by a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions and a paper of short written answers. Unit 2 is assessed by a blind tasting of two wines.
This qualification is regulated by Ofqual
It is recommended that you hold the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits or can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
Not sure exactly what is covered in the Level 3 in Wines Course? Click here to view the full Level 3 Course Specification (with Example Questions)
- These are ideal for trade professionals and wine enthusiasts
- There are three x two hour classroom sessions each day, starting at 9.30am and finishing at 4:30pm with an hour break for lunch
- There are 5 full day sessions (30 classroom hours) and an exam session, spread out over 6 weeks. The final exam day is 11am - 4pm
- WSET recommends at least 54 hours of home study in addition to the 30 hours of classroom sessions.
- Sessions 1,2,3 - Intro, tasting technique, natural and human factors with grape-growing & human factors with winemaking
- Sessions 4,5,6 - Whites wines: Germany, Alsace, Austria, Tokaji, Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux + Red / rose wines: Bordeaux, SW France, Loire
- Sessions 7,8,9 - Red wines: Burgundy, Wines of Rhone, S France, Spain, Portugal, Northern Italy
- Sessions 10,11,12 - Central & S Italy, Portugese reds, Premium New World reds and whites
- Sessions 13,14,15 - Regional new world wines, Sparkling Wines, Fortified Wines
- Exam Session
Course tutor: Jonny Gibson
Jonny has 25 years experience in the wine and spirit industry and is certified for teaching WSET Level 2 and Level 3 courses, training students through both the Intermediate and Advanced certificates. With high pass rates Sussex Wine School courses are thoroughly enjoyable but informative and educational.
Local Wine School (of which Sussex Wine School is a part) is the UK's largest network of WSET certified educators. Over 1,400 successful WSET candidates in 2015. Chris Powell, the founder of our network, Local Wine School, won the coveted Riedel WSET Educator of the Year 2015 award.
Around 3,000 students pass the WSET Level 3 course in the UK each year. The Top 30 students each year are invited to attached a special Scholarship exam day. Sussex Wine School has had a student in the Top 30 for the past three years.
Take your wine knowledge to teh next level with this internationally recognised advanced level wine qualifiaction. Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) courses provide globally recognised qualifications suitable for wine
Places remaining: 12
Date/Time: 4th Jun 2020 at 9.30am - 3pm
Wednesdays for 5 classroom days plus an exam day starting Wednesday 4th Nov 2020. WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is an advanced level qualification for professionals working in the wine
Places remaining: 16
Date/Time: 4th Nov 2020 at 9.30am - 4.30pm
Venue: Hotel du Vin, 2 Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AD