WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Brighton Fridays
Fridays for 5 classroom days plus an exam day starting Friday 15th May 2020.
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is an advanced level qualification for professionals working in the wine industry and for wine enthusiasts.
For individuals seeking to delve deeper into the world of wines, this qualification provides a detailed understanding of grape growing and wine making. Upon completion you will be able to assess wines accurately, and use your understanding to confidently explain wine style and quality. Upon successful completion you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
What you'll learn
The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
How these key factors influence the key characteristics of the principal still wines of the world, sparkling wines of the world and fortified wines of the world
How to apply your understanding to explain wine style and quality
How to taste wines, describe their characteristics and evaluate their quality, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT). If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products.
Unit 1 is assessed by a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions and a paper of short written answers. Unit 2 is assessed by a blind tasting of two wines.
This qualification is regulated by Ofqual
It is recommended that you hold the WSET Level 2 Award or can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
Not sure exactly what is covered in the Level 3 in Wines Course? Click here to view the full Level 3 Course Specification (with Example Questions)
Who is the course designed for?
- These are ideal for trade professionals and wine enthusiasts who cannot take a day off work during the week
- There are three x two hour classroom sessions each day, starting at 9.30am and finishing at 4:30pm with an hour break for lunch
- There are 5 full day sessions (30 classroom hours) and an exam session, spread out over 6 weeks. The final exam day is 10am - 1pm
- WSET recommends at least 54 hours of home study in addition to the 30 hours of classroom sessions.
Course Outline (all Fridays)
- 15th May - Sessions 1,2,3 - Intro, tasting technique, natural and human factors with grape-growing & human factors with winemaking
- 22nd May - Session 4,5,6 - Whites wines: Germany, Alsace, Austria, Tokaji, Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux + Red / rose wines: Bordeaux, SW France, Loire
- 29th May - Session 7,8,9 - Red wines: Burgundy, Wines of Rhone, S France, Spain, Portugal, Northern Italy
- 5th Jun - Session 10,11,12 - Central & S Italy, Portugese reds, Premium New World reds and whites + PRACTICE TASTING PAPER
- 12th Jun - NO CLASS
- 19th Jun - Session 13,14,15 - Regional new world wines, Sparkling Wines, Fortified Wines + PRACTICE SHORT WRITTEN ANSWER QUESTION
- 26th Jun - Tasting and Theory Exam Session 10am-1pm
What's included in the Course Fee?
- All WSET course materials including; Course manual, Study Guide, Specification book and Tasting Card
- ISO professional tasting glasses provided at classroom sessions
- All tasting wines (approx 50 wines)
- All course tuition inc regular practice questions and homework
- Examination Papers (Theory Multiple Choice & Written plus Tasting Paper)
Course tutor: Jonny Gibson. Jonny has 30 years experience in the wine and spirit industry and is certified for teaching WSET Level 1, 2 and Level 3 courses. With higher than global average pass rates for both papers Sussex Wine School's courses are thoroughly enjoyable but informative and educational. Sussex Wine School is part of Local Wine School, winner of the acclaimed 2015 Riedel WSET Wine Educator of the Year award beating over 600 other providers.
Places remaining: 11
Course Date/Time: Fri 15th May 2020 at 9.30am - 4.30pm
Duration: 7 hours
Venue: Hotel du Vin, 2 Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AD