ONLINE Course WSET Level 1 in Wines
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine is the ideal starting point for the novice wine enthusiast, or anyone starting a career in wine or hospitality. WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered online over three weeks with a minimum of 12 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons - so you need to doing around 6 additional hours of home study) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 1 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course includes an attended examination at Sussex Wine School.
What’s Covered on the Course:
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to make food and wine pairings
- Online tasting of six wines with educator feedback (students to provide their own samples)
- How to store and serve wine
No prior knowledge is required. The course is delivered online and in English, therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Wed 3rd June 2020 at 5pm: Registration Deadline
- Friday 5th June 2020 at 2pm – 3:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Friday 12th June 2020 at 2pm – 3:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Friday 19th June 2020 at 2pm – 3:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Exam: To obtain the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. You must answer at least 70% correctly to pass the exam.
- You may either take the exam IN PERSON in Brighton at a date to be agreed or you can sit the exam online at home on a set date using WSET's Remote Invigilation service (extra fee of £25). Please contact us for more details about this as there are some minimum system requirements.
NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
- The course will have 3 LIVE virtual taught lessons with a Sussex Wine School tutor. These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule.
- Enrolled students will receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course.
- Students will need to select a date to attend the course exam in person at Sussex Wine School. All students will be provided a full list of possible exam dates to choose from with dates currently available through to Winter 2021.
The Course Fee of £115 Includes:
- Course study guide (posted to students)
- Access to LIVE virtual taught lessons taught by a Sussex Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions
- Professional WSET tuition
- In person examination fees (online exam is £25 extra)
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
It is recommended that 6 wines are tasted as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee. The course tutor will send through the recommended wine styles for students to obtain and sample as part of this course.
Sussex Wine School has hand-selected a specially discounted tasting case of 6 wines that can be purchased as an Add-On to the course fee from Butlers Wine Cellar in Brighton for £61. If you would like to purchase this case (as opposed to sourcing the wines on your own), a link to purchase this tasting case will be sent to you upon registering for this course. Delivery to any address in BN1, BN2 or BN3 is free. National UK wide delivery is £9.99. Currently, we are unable to arrange delivery to addresses outside of Mainland UK.
Special Educational Needs: please make the wine school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Places remaining: 7
Course Date/Time: Fri 5th Jun 2020 at 2pm - 3.30pm
Duration: 3 consecutive weeks